Sunday, October 26, 2008

Politic Is Synonymous With Pander

As I run for our local community development district (CDD) seat I am finding it a learning experience every time I turn around. I was looking up words online last night for another post I did regarding the NHL and I ran across the synonyms for "Pander" and there it was "politic" ... it gave me a chuckle.

Does it strike anyone else as humorous that these two words can be associated with eachother? The more I walk around town, talking to residents of Celebration, asking for their vote - I am realizing there are quite a few distinct types of people here.

  1. Those who dont really know what a CDD is or does
  2. Those who do know, and really WANT something done
  3. Those who do not know what a CDD does, yet still want something done
  4. Those who do know, and want something done that the CDD has no control over

I do not know which type of person I am going to come across until I am allready knee deep into the conversation ... this might seem fun at first, but lemme tell ya!!! I really enjoy talking to those who do know what a CDD is yet want something done that the CDD has no control over. It gives me a new found respect for elected officals.

As I sit and watch the barrage of presidential commercials on TV ... and the more and more vague these two candidates are in their messages I realize they have to talk this way in order to survive. Everyone has heard the saying "you cant please everyone, all the time" ... I would like to reword it by saying "you cant please everyone ... EVER!"

It is pretty awesome running for office ... I am crossing my fingers and really want to be elected. I think that in the end, it is every politicians desire to contribute to our foundation as a country, to be part of the solution and do good. I will always look back on this experience as an incredible lesson.

No comments: